Monday, January 23, 2012

Cleaning Out All The Toxins...Am I Really Going To Do This?

Cleanse...detox...what does that even mean? Clean out the toxins in your body, eat cleaner {i.e. fresh produce with little to no flavor}, eat little to nothing {I can hear my stomach growling now}, workout to sweat out all the junk, sleep as much as possible so I don't have to think about how hungry I am. Tomorrow I'm starting this Goop Cleanse and I'm scared sh*tless.

Last week I read an article in the Omaha World Herald and it got me really pumped up to jump start my get fit routine. Ever since little man was born, I've been telling myself I'm going to get serious about this every week and I've never sustained it, so when I saw this article I knew I had to try it. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to be as barbaric as the Master Cleanse which consists of subsiding on water, lemon & cayenne pepper, but it's not as lax as other cleanses I've seen - you actually get to eat food {not good food}, but solid food. Tessa & I got together yesterday at Whole Foods armed with our massive list of produce, probiotics, coconut waters, etc. It was an overwhelming trip trying to pick out so many different types of vegetables and fruits, most of which I've never heard of. Kale, arugula, garlic, ginger broccoli, scallions, shallots, beets, celery, pears, apples, lemons, limes to name a few. After a couple hours of shopping we headed to her house for a couple hours of cooking every meal and blending every juice to make sure we're making this cleanse as easy as possible...and we were cussing ourselves the entire way.
Our produce pile...never even heard of 1/2 this stuff
{Check out Cruzer in the background}

I've never chopped so many vegetables in my life....
my hands were stained red from the beets
We look happy, but that just covers up the fact we were seething
mad that we decided to put ourselves through this.

Fast forward to now....and I'm extremely nervous and wondering what.did.I.get.myself.into? Tomorrow morning is the first day of the seven day detox. I'm nervous I'm going to be starving myself throughout the day, being a crabby you-know-what and despising anyone who is eating normal food and most importantly drinking an ice cold diet soda.

So...why am I doing this?
  • Shed the last few pounds of my pregnancy weight
  • Detox my body and start clean
  • More energy {not driven by numerous Diet Mt Dews throughout the day}
  • Get myself to make healthier food choices...and perhaps discover some new foods that I like to eat
  • Nick doesn't think I can do it {thanks, honey}...that's ammunition enough for me to complete it. {Plus I really don't think I can do it...it would be great to prove myself wrong as well.}
My reward to myself for completing this seven day torture er, cleanse is to buy myself a new pair of skinny jeans. I haven't bought any new jeans this year {due to being pregnant for most of it & then not wanting to buy when I still hadn't gotten rid of the preggo weight}, so I think this will be a great reward at the end of this very long, dark tunnel.

Well, wish me luck. I will be checking in along the way.

2 comments:

  1. So....when were you going to tell me about figuring out your reward?!?!?!?! I almost forgot to do one! But I think that's what I will do too! We are GOING to do this and feel so much better afterwards! Not only because our bodies will be "clean" but also because we proved that we could start something (although sucky and horrible and torture-like) and we follow through with it! Here's to us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thinking about it yesterday and decided that my reward probably shouldn't be a la mesa chimichanga, instead something that I can get value out of {more so than 15 minutes of heavenly, cheesy goodness}. At the end of this we are going shopping together!

      Delete